A Letter to Baby Girl

Dear Baby,

We are so ready to meet you! In just a few short days, you will be here. You have a family waiting to greet you with open arms, a daddy ready for you to wrap around his little finger, and two big sisters who are waiting to teach you all about fancy shoes, princesses, and ponies.

Most of all, you have a mommy who cannot wait to hold you. I have been waiting for this day for two long years, ever since your little brother or sister was taken from me so unexpectedly. You are loved, you are wanted, you are treasured, and you are not even here yet. I am ready to breathe that sigh of relief when you are finally here, safe and sound, and complications are no longer a concern.

The doctor says you have a lot of hair. You look chubby in your pictures. I envision you look like your big sister Miss M, more so than Miss N. Will you have brilliant blue eyes like M, piercing, thoughtful gray-blue eyes like N, or green eyes like your momma? Will the name we have chosen for you fit? I'm not as in love with it as your sisters' names, and somehow I wonder if we will change at the last minute when we see your little face.

I wonder how your sisters will respond. They are excited, but your littlest big sister has been having a hard time with mommy not being her normal self these past few days. Will she transition into the big sister role easily? I hope so. I imagine your biggest big sister will love you, but not be totally sure what to do with you. Babies don't do a whole lot at the beginning after all.

Of course, there are other questions too. Will we discover something unexpected when you are born? With all of the ultrasounds we've had, it's hard to imagine, but I suppose it could happen. Will you be making your appearance early after all, or waiting until Thursday? Will you be as big as mommy feels you are, or will you surprise us and be only six or seven pounds?
But truthfully, none of the answers to those questions matter. You are fearfully and wonderfully made, however you look when you are finally here, and we cannot wait to meet you.

Thursday. It feels so far away. Mommy is almost done with work, and I wonder how I will fill these next few days while we wait. Waiting is hard, but I know that soon, oh so soon, I will have you in my arms. And I cannot wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Questions

My Story Begins

Christmas Miracle