Lacking Discipline

Why do I lack discipline?

I need to lose weight. I’ve been REALLY (really) good about running at least three times a week, and for me that’s HUGE, but it’s not really translating into weight loss, and I find that discouraging. Total, I’ve lost three pounds since I started running. But, when it comes to food, I simply can’t seem to be disciplined. It’s not that I sit and pig out all of the time. But, the foods I do eat are not the healthiest. I never dreamed in my life I would be as heavy as I am, but alas, here it is. I am tired of hating the way I look. I am tired of not being able to find clothes that don’t make me look like a moose. I am tired of being overweight. I am tired of my four year old asking me if there is a baby in my tummy (there’s not, for the record). Yet, all of this being tired doesn’t stop me from picking up the junk food or downing a pop.

I need to get our family back on a budget. Preschool is starting in just a couple of months, and I need to figure out how we will pay for it. I need to stop the financial bleeding and get us out of debt. Yet, when it comes right down to sitting down, planning, and implementing a budget, I never seem to find the time or energy to do it.

Why am I so undisciplined?

Anyone been where I am and figured out how to kick it into gear?

Comments

mom2bacon said…
Really? You seem to be one of the most disciplined people I know! You are doing great with your running program. AND you are doing great with your kids and your work. You are an amazing person Nicole!!!
Michelle said…
Nicole,
I know that I have a long way to go, but I saw the biggest change in my life when I started treating my lack of discipline as sin, not a personality quirk. Then I started asking prayer specifically and publicly for it. Not just "pray that I'll get caught up" but "pray that I will not be lazy and leave my dishes in the sink this week." Old ladies are the best for asking for prayer (they seem to be the most compassionate!). That's when I started to see real growth. Understanding my life as stewardship has helped too. And... discipline is a long-term goal-- you have to keep working at it, even when you fail and feel like giving up... righteous man falls and gets up seven times. Don't give up! Find those passages in scripture that help you renew your mind in your area, and keep reading those over and over and over. This is what I've been doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Questions

My Story Begins

Christmas Miracle