Unexpected Fears

Sometimes, my children surprise me with their fears. I picked up my littlest one from Mom's Day Out the other day to learn that she had had a complete meltdown at lunch time.

The culprit?

"Owls say whoo whoo."

We had heard an owl that morning when getting into the car, and apparently it had scared her, unbeknownst to me. She has talked about that quite a bit since then, and it didn't really stop until I found and showed her a picture of an owl. I don't think she knew what they were.

A couple of nights ago I was putting the girls to bed and we were starting in on the brushing teeth/going potty part of the process. I think I said I was tired or yawned, and Miss N said, "Why are you so tired?"

"I must be getting old," I joked, in the way you can when you are 30 and tired.

She got a horrified look on her face and started to tear up. "Mommy, you are NOT old. I don't want my mommy to be old, You are NOT old."

She ran over and gave me a hug and said, "I love you mommy."

I was touched by this and of course assured her that I was making a joke and am not, in fact "old."

Sometimes, I sit back and look at then and just wonder, what are their precious little minds thinking?

Comments

Michelle said…
I imagine as God teaches you how to deal with their fears, He'll also be teaching you how to deal with your own! Have a good week!

Popular posts from this blog

My Story Begins

Hard Questions

Christmas Miracle