Potty Training

If you are my friend, you are probably already tired of hearing about this, but this is my blog and, well, I need to put some things out there to get them out of my head. So if you're tired of hearing about it, stop reading now.

Miss M. For the past two and a half days she has behaved as a potty trained child, making all of her "business" in the potty. Today, she started pooing in her undies again.

I admit, I am tired beyond measure of changing these messes. I have been at this for about three weeks, and I'm tired of the mess.

Being tired is not a reason to quit, and i know that. In my heart of hearts I know that she can do this - goodness, she did it for 2 1/2 days without a problem, even "holding it" for a full 25 minute ride home from church and doing it successfully in the potty.

But then, I read things. Things tell me "Start at 2 and potty train for a year. Start at 3 and potty train for a week."

Honestly, it's cheaper for me to throw away a pair of underwear every 3 days then continue diapering the child (who wears the largest size diaper they make, and is still growing, so then what? diaper her in pullups?), and I know she can do it. She did it for 2 1/2 days.

So why did she refuse to do it today? I knew she needed to go, had her on the potty, and she would not do it. Moments after I took her off of the potty, she did it. I cannot have my eyes on her 24 hours a day, as much as I might like to.

I already started and stopped this process once. People are telling me to quit. I'm thinking about poop and pee all of the time. It's exhausting. But, if I let her "win" this time and quit again, she will remember, and starting again, no matter how old she is, is going to be triple hard.

So I am putting my "big girl" pants on and digging in my heals for the long haul.

Or at least until the end of the week. Then we will re-evaluate as a couple and see what we should do.

Potty training a stubborn child - perhaps it requires mom to be the more stubborn one?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Questions

My Story Begins

Christmas Miracle