Sometimes You Just Need to Stop . . .

. . . and hold your sleeping baby. Today was one of those days.

But let me back up for a minute. Yesterday I had more paying work than I could possibly do. Normally Mondays are school days for the kids, and so I would have been fine, but yesterday was out of the ordinary and they did not have school. Then, Megan is fighting a cold and only slept for about 45 minutes because her coughing was preventing her from sleeping. Needless to say, I could not accomplish my work load. I became frustrated. My attempt to be supermom was failing.

Do you ever have days like that? Days when you honestly cannot accomplish everything assigned to you. For me, when I have days like that I wish I worked in an office. It's not a long lasting wish, but I do wish I did sometimes so I could have 6-8 hours to sit and work, without interruptions, without my messy house staring me in the face, and without the tyranny of the urgent preventing me from working. I love what I do, and sometimes I wish I had more time to actually do it.

Today, Megan made up for lost time. Tim helped me find a solution to the work problem, and I was much calmer.

Megan woke much later than normal, and I went in to pick her up. She was rubbing her eyes and obviously still tired. So to the rocking chair we went. I held her and rocked her and watched as her eyes drifted shut again. I held her as her limbs twitched the rhythm of sleep. For 30 minutes, I just sat, rocked my baby, and prayed for her. I prayed for a friend who is fighting to keep her foster child. I prayed for Natalie. And I prayed for me. I prayed that I would have the patience I need to deal with my children. I prayed that I would find the right balance so I can be a good writer, mom, mother, housekeeper, Christian, church member, etc.

Today, holding my sleeping baby was the "one needful thing." We both needed it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautifully stated Nicole. I love you- MOM
Janna said…
Sounds like a lovely way to spend your precious moments!

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Questions

My Story Begins

Christmas Miracle